History

A Brief History of Our Church:  We're the 2nd oldest church in Lynnfield. We began in 1849 when a group of businessmen came here from Boston to set up businesses amid rumors that the South Reading Railroad would be going through the village of Lynnfield. Community leaders had visions of a community springing up around the station. In anticipation of that growth and deeming it highly important to have regular preaching of the gospel here, the leaders founded what is now Lynnfield Community Church. Fourteen charter members held services in a chapel situated near the present junction of Grove Street and Upton Lane. Though the railroad is long gone, we're still here.

The formal organization of the church took place in 1854 with the help of other congregational churches in the area. In 1856 the chapel on hotel property was no longer available, so a permanent church was built and dedicated in November 1857 on land donated by General Josiah Newhall. In 1936, when the state widened the Newburyport Turnpike, horses and pulleys moved the church to its current location at 735 Salem Street.

While our church has never removed itself from the Congregational churches, in 1920, it voted to become the Community Church for service to all residents regardless of their background or affiliation.

Our more recent history: Though our numbers are now small after the two-year pandemic and damage to our church building from an electrical fire in 2017, our courage and faith are significant. We're rebuilding from COVID and have completed 95% of the interior repair from the fire. We want to share the incredible sense of Family, Faith and Fun our church has come to represent for us.

Our 26th and the current minister is Rev. Martha Swanson. Martha and her husband Jack reside in Quincy, and Jack is pastor at First Church of Christ in Lynn.

We welcome all who would like to worship with us and become part of our church family.